Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Wife


These two beautiful cushions are made by Wife, and I swapped them for one of my vintage clutches over the weekend at Hope Street Markets. Nicole (the maker) uses fabulous recycled materials (including the interior of these cushions!). It was lovely to meet someone with the same ethos.

I've picked up the following from Georgielove's site:

Wife. wearables for you + your home

A bold and adventurous collection of one-of-a-kind home ware and accessories individually designed and made by Sydney-based visual & performing artist, Nicole Barakat. Wife. offers a contemporary twist on traditional textiles, craft and the domestic. Wife. products are sustainable and designed with a sensitivity towards their distinctive materials, which are almost always 100% reused. All products are hand made and carefully crafted using the finest of fabrics including lush natural fibres like wool, silk, cotton and linen.

About the maker. Nicole Barakat

I’ve been ‘making’ in some way for as long as I can remember and feel as though I entered this world with a needle and (red) thread in my hand. Cloth and textiles have always been part of my creative process. My products give me a space to play with colour, texture and the exciting elements of traditional textile and craft processes. My practice focuses on finding the unexpected by drawing on that which is familiar. I am fascinated with the languages we are able to create through the manipulation of materials and processes. I currently lecture in the Textiles department at the UNSW College of Fine Arts.

No comments: